Shirley Temple Returns With a Pig
The Zen of Honey Boo Boo ... I'm not a big reality TV fan, although I do like watching Gordon Ramsey scream obscenities. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was way off my radar, but the buzz was impossible to ignore, so finally I checked it out. From what I'd heard, I expected the redneck culture shock. After that, surprise! I'm on the Honey Boo Boo bandwagon! I dig Honey Boo Boo and I'm not afraid to say so. Yes, haters, there's a lot to respond negatively to. Much of it is nutritional. The rest is bathroom humor and filth (not sex filth, but actual dirt and mud). But here are a few of the highlights that got me past that: Honey Boo Boo has pizzazz and she is like Shirley Temple ... I agree with Rosie O'Donnell, who said so, and would add that she's a cross between Shirley Temple, the Little Rascals and Betty Boop (ok, I'm that old). – Maddy Lederman/Huffington Post
Dominant Social Theme: What a cute little strange girl.
Free-Market Analysis: We were all ready to come out with the announcement that Honey Boo Boo was the next Shirley Temple. And surely that's a significant meme in this day and age ... with so many similarities to the Great Depression. (Heck, if Obama can channel Roosevelt, Honey Boo Boo can do the same for Ms. Temple!)
Anyway, it looks like Rosie O'Donnell beat us to it. We may disagree with O'Donnell's politics but she's not a stupid woman. She's a fairly astute observer of the social and entertainment scene, and in this case we think she's correct.
What is left unsaid, of course, is what the substitution of Honey Boo Boo for Shirley Temple says about the reality of US life at this point in time. Compare Honey Boo Boo's personality, presentation, frame of reference and the entirety of her reality show to her even more famous predecessor and come to your own conclusions.
We won't state the obvious but we will make a statement or two in defense of Honey Boo Boo. Her success is no accident. She is a legitimately cute and precocious kid. Whether her charm lasts into adulthood is anybody's guess. But she's got the same "it" factor that Shirley Temple seems to have had. Here's some more from the article:
1. Honey Boo Boo might be considered a comic genius if she wasn't only seven. An adult comedian behaving the same way would be described as "exploring" or "working new material." If Jim Carrey had a reality show, he'd be bouncing off the walls too.
2. Honey Boo Boo looks on the bright side: Honey Boo Boo's new niece is fine, but, yes, she was born with an extra thumb. I would love to have seen a producer's face when they found out about that development. It was already redneck-enough that Honey Boo Boo's teenage sister was pregnant; this strange twist no one would think of. Honey Boo Boo mused, "I wish I had an extra thumb, then I could grab more cheese balls!"
3. Honey Boo Boo has a positive self-image: First, while I admire this character trait, I think everyone should be as healthy as possible. But entering a chubby child into the competitive world of beauty pageants shows a certain confidence on Mama June's part (if not delusion) that pays off. Instead of being self-conscious about her shape, Honey Boo Boo was a blueberry in a swimsuit competition (cute!). She hasn't won a Grand Supreme title yet, but she has many trophies and has been awarded an audience favorite. This would never have happened if she sat out, feeling fat.
4. The Honey Boo Boos don't dwell on loss: When Honey Boo Boo doesn't win a Grand Supreme Title, they move on. To cheer up, they adopted a teacup pig and named it Glitzy. That pig's piercing squeals might not cheer me up, but we all have different taste. Mama June says Honey Boo Boo's doing better and better and with time she will be "up there." I think most life coaches would agree: This is a winning attitude!
5. Honey Boo Boo makes talk shows fun and unpredictable: Talk show hosts really have to wing it with Honey Boo Boo. She does not like sitting still with adults and answering questions, and she's not afraid to announce she's bored with a loud, fake snore. She submerged her entire hand in Jimmy Kimmel's water and splashed him with it the night she endorsed "Marack Obama" on his show. Watch hosts scramble for her attention while she looks at herself on the monitor, sings, dances and ignores their questions.
This whole affair is truly remarkable. Don't believe us: See for yourself.
(Video from haimerejyert's YouTube user channel.)
Posted by iddy on 11/28/12 07:03 PM
Wow, never heard of this one. Its true ugly is pretty ,fat is skinny, left is right and down is up.
Reply from The Daily Bell
Don't be mean, Iddy.
Posted by expatriot on 11/12/12 11:50 AM
my posts are not showing... am I being too subversive?! Or just too long winded ... what I wrote here yesterday does not post and my comment about that guru will not post today... so? What's that? I don't think I used stronger words about this than 'hicks"... as indeed my subject here is the general dumbing down trend... stupid is cool, funny and oh so luvLy...
Reply from The Daily Bell
Post away ...
Posted by hivemind on 11/08/12 07:49 PM
I've avoided knowing who or what Honey Boo Boo is until just now. I liked it better before, not knowing. Perhaps I'm too elitest or "no fun."
Come on. You guys are messing with us, right?
Reply from The Daily Bell
We point out memes. Honey Boo Boo is one ...